THE BEGINNING - 1910
In 1910, a group of Christians rented a small building at 120 Tyrell Avenue, Toronto. This group included Addison Taylor, William McCullough, John Bartholomew and Norman Kion. The building was a simple, one story structure, lit by coal lamps with room for 20-30 chairs. These men started to share the good news of Jesus Christ from the small building. They started with a children's work, and by 1912 there were over 135 children attending on a weekly basis. They eventually renovated the building that they had rented and had nightly gospel services.
Today, we continue to be benefactors of the work, dedication, and love for Christ displayed by these early founders of our local church.
SUMMER OF 1913 - MARCH 1939
The summer of 1913 marked a great change. An old style tent was pitched on an empty lot - that same lot became the site of the building that we occupied for many years. From the fall of 1913 to the spring of 1914, a building was built to be used by the Christians. From 1914-1938 there were weekly sunday school meetings, prayer meetings, and bible studies held at this location. There were also annual meetings held in public spaces where the gospel was preached to all who would listen. During these years God gave great blessing and many people were saved by His grace. Yet this period was one of formation and preparation as there was still no formal leadership in place, and no weekly remembrance of the Lord through the breaking of bread.
March 26, 1939 was the first time that the Lord's supper was shared by Christians of the Bracondale assembly. The believers had previously been breaking bread at the Central Gospel Hall and thus it was in 1939 that Bracondale assembly became an autonomous local church. There were 92 in attendance for the first meeting.
It is interesting to note the timing of the establishment of our local church...it was in 1939 that World War II began, television began to be broadcast in the US, LaGuardia Airport opened in New York City and Albert Einstein wrote the president about creating the atomic bomb. It was at this time of immense turmoil in the world that, by the hand of God, these Christians came together to worship, praise, and share Jesus.
LANGSTAFF IS BORN
Langstaff assembly is the result of a relocation by the Bracondale believers. In December 1994, the decision was made to purchase the lot where we are currently located. The reasons behind this decision included proximity to the new 407 highway, lots of space for a large building, the ability to reach out to the surrounding residential community, and the changing demographics as many members of the Bracondale assembly moved out to the suburbs.
In 1995 and 1996, a tent was erected on the newly purchased lot and it was used for children's outreach as well as gospel outreaches. Many nights there were over 100 people in attendance and many people came to know the Lord Jesus as their Saviour. It was during this period that construction began on the current building.
On May 5th, 1996, the assembly moved from Bracondale building up to the current location at 1350 Langstaff Road. At that time, the new building was still under construction and therefore services were held in the small, white house that currently sits to the east of the hall. Despite a few mice, lack of space, and lack of creature comforts, the years spent in that small building were years of great joy and fellowship!
In 1999, construction on the new building was finally complete. Mr. Harold Paisley and Mr. Norman Crawford visited us to inaugurate the building by the preaching of the Gospel. They spoke nightly for a couple of weeks as we started adjusting to our new and more spacious surroundings. Over the years we have enjoyed the new building and have sought to use it for God's glory and the benefit of those in the surrounding community. Our annual missionary conference started in 2004 and has continued every year since. As we pause and look back, we are grateful for God's goodness, and we trust that He will continue to provide for us, guide us, and empower us to accomplish His purposes.